What I'm working on right now.
As of July 1st, I began a new challenge. I made the terrifying leap into freelancing full-time. My first jobs kept me in my comfort zone a bit - one contract is with a school system and the other is with a company I worked with in the past. My hope is to branch out and take on work that challenges me. But the learning curve of taking on the responsibility of a business has been quite steep! Wish me continued luck!!
I had to do it. I couldn't resist. When looking for an idea for this week's challenge, I had to incorporate my championship team, the Philadelphia Eagles! It's been many lifetimes of waiting for this to happen, and celebrate this Super Bowl win we must!!
Interactive tables were the challenge. I grabbed some game data and went at it. This interaction is simple shapes (the stars) that trigger layers. The table design is the built-in version from Storyline.
It seems like there is a glitch in the published version where you can see some space between shapes and the table in the middle. I played with it a bit, but couldn't resolve it.
I am just starting out as a freelancer. I've got a full-time job and getting up and running is hard. Decided to try out the elearning challenges from Articulate's E-Learning Heroes to have some more items for the portfolio. This week it's "Designing Interactive Coloring Books". Admittedly, "coloring books" are not always the first tool in the elearning toolbox, but the idea intrigued. The example from Jackie van Nice on the challenge page was awesome...Dials! Chameleons! Very nice, indeed!
I decided not to tackle the dials and went down a different path. As I thought about colors, the idea of a rainbow jumped out. Next, I needed an idea of how the colors appeared. Paint and paintbrushes worked. Let the variable work begin! It took some playing, tweaking, and nudging, but here it is!
There are states for the paintbrush that change as it intersects with each bucket. There are states for each rainbow color which change based on variables tied to the paintbrush colors. The secondary colors have 2 variable changes needed (i.e. "redorange" and "yelloworange" need to change in order for the orange stripe to show). Once I figured out how to set it all up, it worked great.
I did have some trouble publishing and getting it to work smoothly. The current version may need further tweaking to make sure it works all the time.
Starting out as a freelancer. Wish I were in Hawaii.